About the EPHC Auxiliary

How We Began
Western Pacific Railroad built the first hospital in Portola in 1910. During the 1950's, when it was at risk of closing, community members rallied in support of the hospital. The Auxiliary was created in 1957. Initially, Auxiliary members did everything from sewing curtains for hospital rooms to landscaping the grounds. The Eastern Plumas Community Hospital District then was created in 1965 and the current hospital was dedicated in 1971.

Visit Eastern Plumas Health Care

More than 50 years later, we continue to support local health care services.

How We Do It

  • Greet patients and family members in the hospital lobby on surgery days.
  • Participate in recreational and social events for long-term care residents.
  • Help at community outreach events such as health fairs.
  • Conduct blood drives in coordination with United Blood Services.
  • Provide education scholarships to EPHC employees.
  • Raise funds through activities such as the Nifty Thrifty thrift store.
  • Add your idea here.

What We Don't Do

  • We don't pay for individual medical care.
  • We don't participate in direct medical care.


Connie Kunsman awarding scholarship to Sharon Tanguay at luncheon November 2015


Enjoying the November 2015 quarterly luncheon


Board members at the November 2015 luncheon


The November 2015 luncheon


Members at the November 2015 luncheon